Tuesday, January 1, 2008

Starting the NEW YEARS with Winners never Cheat


WINNERS NEVER CHEAT has been an inspiration to me over the holidays to read about self-made billionaire Jon Hunsman on honesty and generosity. He is a familiar Utah name, his son our governor, prominant religious family and the Huntsman Cancer Institute is world known. He lives what he teaches in the book , here are some ideas I have taken from his book I would like to implement into my business:

1. Treat employees, customers, & colleagues with respect.
2. Failure is easy. Success is always hard, a man can fail easily, he can succeed only by paying out all that he has and is.
3. Setting the example, let your yes be yes and your no be no's. Parents and employers who nurture, praise and when necessary discipline fairly, experience happier lives for them and those around them.
4. There are no one man teams, success is a co-operative effort and dependent on those who stand around you.
5. Each person is unique, when we seek to be like the next person we lose autonomy. I want to build my business on being unique in order to be set apart from competators.
6. Injustice has a way of catching up tothose who do injury to others, it happens most often without our assistance. So no grudges.
7. None of us are as smart as ALL of us! Thus he writes one of my favorite songs ...ever since I was 8 years old and played it on the piano, I ALWAYS cry when I hear this song:

No man is an island
No man stands alone
Each mans joy is joy to me
Each mans grief is my own.
We need one another
So I will defend
Each man as my brother
Each man as my friend. ( I will wipe the tears now!)

8. Graciousness & giving. Each day our eulogys are being written.
9 True giving is doing something to someone who can never repay you.
10. AND my favorite: No exercise is better than reaching down and lifting someone up!

There are just too numerous points I love in this book, Jon Huntsman is a philanthroper and a good example of how we should live. He talks of many a wealthy business person and the bad things that can happen if you do not have standards to do business with. You cant come away from reading this book and being the same person.It puts me at peace as a business woman, knowing I can keep my standards I have been taught and tried to live and to be successful at it without any kind of corruption.

1 comment:

sherri said...

I love this Brenda - What a fabulous Book, one which I will have to read. One of the lyrics in the song is "Each Man's Joy is Joy to Me"....I LOVE that, and I do already try to live that. I don't want to give expecting something in return - I don't want to be in competition with another seller - I just want to do my best and set my OWN standard. I want to be Unique, as Jon Hunsman says. What an enlightening post this was - Thank you for sharing! My grandma always said "Generosity is a gift given to oneself, before passed along to another. That is the art of true Generosity"
hugs my wise friend - xo Sherri